Cathedral Mountain

Banff Yoho & Kootenay National Park

travelers_spirit , Saturday 3rd April, 2021 3:05PM

6am start, Skinned up via trees on the eastern slopes after creek crossing. There are no snow bridges that we could find that were safe to cross but the water was low enough at the time. Weather was warmer in the valley but cooled, cloudy, with some gusts on the glacier. The glacier has a small section exposed which can be easily avoided. We heard no avalanche activity in the area, no whomping, and the snow felt stable throughout the day - but we we avoided as much steep terrain as possible. Wind slab observed on the NE slopes approaching the glacier. No observed rockfall from the ridges above. As we reached the middle of the glacier viewing final ridge, clouds were rolling in with heavier gusts and light snow - we decided due to timing and deteriorating weather that it would be best to turn around. Concern for white out conditions if we kept onward. Avoided the coulior and opted for terrain we knew and traveled on - returned via eastern trees which are thick at times. Will be back for another attempt!

Snow conditions were: Crusty, Hard, Wet, Wind affected. Weather conditions were: Cloudy. We rode: Alpine slopes, Dense trees, Sunny slopes. We avoided: Alpine slopes. Riding quality was ok.