Big Dave and friends on Big Kahuna


davidcouture1996 , Monday 22nd April, 2024 7:55AM

Our plan was to assess the snow conditions and go for Big Kahuna if it was good enough. It was a blue bird day, with no precipitation. We encountered 30 km/h South wind at ridgetop and about -1c in the alpine. We dug a profile at 1200m on a north aspect and the results were moderate with ECTN 11 and ECTN19, with a fracture at 30 cm deep. See pictures for more info. We decided to go for it and were successful. The top of the line was packed down and you could see a bit of leeward effect as well. The cornice on the east face shoulder ridge seems to be getting really heavy but we deemed it safe to use that route and gave a good margin between each group member. The bottom line of the couloir and bowl was quite powdered and made for some good turns and smiles.

Source: Avalanche Canada MIN